1) Why should I attend the EAYE Annual Meeting (formerly known as the Spring Meeting of Young Economists - SMYE)?
Let’s give voice to some of the previous years' participants!
“Extremely high quality.” (Young Economist from the Toulouse School of Economics)
“Simply wonderful! The best part was how friendly all the participants were. I think the standing lunches and dinner really facilitated these meetings. Finally, the discussants all appeared to have done their research, which made for good discussions.” (Young Economist from the University of Surrey)
“I really enjoyed the spirit of the event” (Young Economist from the Paris School of Economics)
“I liked that there were various parallel sessions, and it was easy to find something which one is interested in. The organization was great. Further, the keynotes have been quite interesting. What I did not like was the short presentation slots.” (Young Economist from the University of Innsbruck)
2) How many papers are typically presented at the conference?
3) How many submissions does the conference usually receive?
4) How much is the registration fee?
The registration fee is 130 euros for PhD holders and 65 euros for students.
5) I am not a European citizen. Can I still participate?
Yes, you can. There is no restriction on citizenship.
6) Is there an age limit for participation?
The EAYE Annual Meeting is a conference for early-career economists but there is no specific age limit.
7) Can I obtain funding for the EAYE Annual Meeting 2024?
The low registration fee is designed to encourage submissions, but we do not provide any additional funding for participants. To encourage the participation of PhD students, the respective fee is reduced by 50%.
8) I work in the private sector/outside academia. Can I submit a paper?
Yes, you can.
9) Which topics are eligible for the conference?
We welcome papers from all fields of economics.
10) Can I submit more than one paper to EAYE Annual Meeting 2024?
No, you cannot. You can only submit and present one paper.
11) What is the first deadline to keep in mind?
You are invited to submit your extended abstract or full paper by November 17, 2023.
12) How long is an extended abstract?
An extended abstract consists of a minimum of 4,000 and a maximum of 8,000 characters.
13) Are full papers more likely to be accepted than extended abstracts?
No, they are not.
14) What are the full paper prerequisites?
If your work is accepted on the basis of your abstract, you are expected to send a full paper before March 31, 2024. There is no restriction on the number of words. The full paper should be similar to a working paper, describing your methodology, results, etc.
15) What is the deadline for registration?
Check our website for updates on deadlines.
16) Can I present a co-authored paper?
Yes, you can. However, you can present only one paper. Due to space constraints, only presenting co-authors can attend the conference.
17) How much time will a presentation last?
Each presentation lasts 25 minutes and is followed by a general discussion of at most 5 minutes.
18) How is the Young European Economist Award granted?
A commission with members of the programme committee, the EAYE board, and the local organizing committee chooses the best paper among all papers.
19) What are the requisites to be eligible for the Young European Economist Award?
Participants must be under 36 years old or have defended their PhD at most 7 years ago.
20) Do the requisites to be eligible for the Young European Economist Award apply to co-authors?
Yes. Co-authors must also be under 36 years old or have defended their PhD at most 7 years ago.